Pretty little things for the wedding of my dreams...

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bring out that Ring! The Perfect DIY Ring Bearer Pillow Alternative!

I've been researching various options for my ring bearer.  I simply didn't want to go with the same ol' Oriental Trading Company pillow, I wanted to be different.  So, I found this picture on Martha Stewart's website: 


My inspiration!

But I didn't want to use real flowers because it was too much trouble so close to the wedding day, I wasn't sure where to find the mums that are in the picture and green isn't one of my wedding colors (pale pink, ivory  and navy are my colors).  So, I did something alittle different which used silk flowers and is in my wedding colors.


Here's how I made this pretty little thing:

1.) I started out at Michael's, a craft store, by purchasing flowers.  This time, I was really intrigued by the hydrangeas.  So, I purchased about 5 larger stem hydrangeas (they were originally $5.99 each, but there was a 50% off sale!).  Here's sort of how they looked:
2.) I also purchased a square one-inch thick piece of floral foam like this:
3.) Then, I found a single large silk peony and a package of corsage/boutonniere pins with ivory pearl tops.  I also already had the navy ribbon (see my last post) and a hot glue gun.  
4.) I first cut the corners of the styrofoam so they'd be more rounded.

5.) I had a difficult time with the hydrangeas. When they come on the stem, they don't have a stem in the middle and the leaves are held on by a sort of hook contraption.  So, I just pulled them off the hook, put a little hot glue near the center of the flower and placed it on the foam square.  But they appeared to lay very flat.  So, I pushed just the center of the flower into the foam with a little rounded stylus and then the leaves went up.  I then pierced the center with the corsage pins. 

6.)  I did this all the way around the block.  I pierced the middle of the styrofoam all the way through and ran some floral wire through it so that there was about a three inch loop on the top, and the ends on the bottom were pushed into the foam. 

7.) I took the white peony and pulled the wire loop through the center of it.  Then I secured it all with hot glue.  So, the flower now had a wire loop through the center. 

8.)  I hot glued the edges of the navy ribbon to the under leaves of the peony and ran them around the little box. 

9.) Finally, I tied ribbons to the top of the peony around the loop of the floral wire.  I made two bows, and then added two more ribbons (just knotted) which I will tie the rings on.  I did one in pink and one in blue for the bride's ring and the groom's ring respectively.

10.) Then I pushed some extra corsage pins through the top just to make it secure.

A little time consuming, but worth the effort! Hope you enjoy it!



 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I can't believe you made that. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete