Pretty little things for the wedding of my dreams...

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pretty Pretty Pomanders!

I've started this blog to encourage other brides to DIY and save a great deal of money in the process.  My first project that I want to share are my aisle pomanders "pom poms" that I plan to hang either on the seats or on shepard's hooks on the wedding aisle.  My colors are pale pink, navy and ivory, so I set about working on how to make pomanders with this inspiration.  Here is how I did it!
All done! Ten poms in all, even had different sizes!


My Inspiration!

1.) I went to Michael's, a craft store, and purchased 4 in. round foam balls (see the picture below), navy ribbon, wire cutters, a hot glue gun (I didn't have one before), and some cheap $1.00 ribbon.


2.) I started looking for flowers at Michael's and dollar stores in my area.  I was finally able to get enough flowers to make my poms, I can tell you it takes more than you think! So over-buy and then return.  Look for flowers that seem to go together and that have some height to them, that's all the advice I can give. Here are some of the flowers I used:

3.)  Once I had everything, I started by tying the cheap ribbon around the balls and securing with the hot glue.
4.)  Then, I tied the nice navy blue ribbon through cheap ribbon and left enough for me to hang the poms when I was done.  I also secured that ribbon's knot with a hot glue gun.
5.)  Then, I started by making a small hole in the ball with a golf tee (from my Fiance).  Once the hole was made, I cut a flower from the stem leaving about one inch of stem on the flower with my wire cutters. I put hot glue on the flower stem and stuck it in the hole I made.
6.)  I did this until I filled up the entire ball! I did all sorts of different designs, some of my poms are separated into sections of color, some are all mixed in, and some are lines of color.  I also got different sized flowers (mostly because I couldn't find enough of one type of flower) but they turned out great.
It's really just that simple!

1 comment: