Pretty little things for the wedding of my dreams...

Monday, April 16, 2012

Ravishing DIY "Reserved" Signs for the Ceremony!

This is a smaller project and significantly easier.  But, it's actually something you need for the wedding.  During the ceremony, most weddings require that the first few rows of chairs be reserved for family and/or those participating in the processional.  For instance, my grandmother is going to walk down the aisle, but she's not standing for the whole ceremony.  So, i need a place for her to sit when she's completed her processional.   If you don't reserve seats, you'll get guests sitting everywhere! So, I came up with a way to make a very low-cost sign to reserve chairs during the ceremony. 

1.)  First, I started with my handy dandy embossing kit (I told you I wanted to find more ways to incorporate it into the wedding).   You'll also need a stamp and/or letter stamps.  I found a stamp with the word "reserved" on it online for about $6.00 and these sort of medium size gift tags from Michael's (see below) for about $2.00.  I'm sure you could also just spell out a word with the letter stamps from Michael's.   
2.) So, I started by heat embossing each tag with the word "reserved".  To do that, you use your stamp in embossing ink and stamp on the tags. 

3.) Then cover the wet ink with the embossing powder.
4.)  Next, tap the excess powder off and you'll have the word nicely remaining on the tag.
5.) Then use your embossing tool to heat the powder so it melts and creates a gorgeous raised effect.
6.)  I wanted to do something different for the back, but you could easily just emboss the back of the tags as well.  I think I might have over-complicated this because I later learned there is actually glitter spray (which I didn't use). Anyways,  here's what I did, but feel free to make this easier.  
7.)   I had spray adhesive and glitter available to me.
8.)  I sprayed the back of each card with the adhesive and kept the bottle far enough away from the card so that it wasn't wet and looked more misted. 
9.) Then I spread glitter all over the card.

10.)  After that I laid the cards, sprayed a little shellac on them and let them dry.  However, one of them fell on the ground and that's when a terror hit the project.

The carnage after the attack.
11.)  Then I had only 9 cards :(. I strung navy blue ribbon through the tags to hang from the chairs.  They look like this when done (the ribbons were a $1.00 per spool and I only needed 2 spools):
12.)  Here's how I plan to use them on the chivari chairs I have for the ceremony.  It's so cheap and easy! You'd be spending a lot more on etsy and this is something even the most craft-challenged indivdual can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment