Pretty little things for the wedding of my dreams...

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Show-stopper DIY Cupcake Topper!



It's been too long since I've blogged, and I'm hoping this do-it-yourself project isn't too easy for you! For my rehearsal dinner we are going to have cupcakes instead of cake.  This is a great idea because you don't pay a cake-cutting fee (which some venues will charge) and my guests will be having cake the very next day! So, I wanted to embellish my cupcakes with a little something special.  You can buy cupcake toppers all over the place.  On etsy you can purchase 12 cupcake toppers like the onesfor a dollar each.  But, I think I can do it for cheaper and add my own flair! So, here it goes:

1.) First gather your supplies. 
  • You will need scrapbook cardstock and/or decorative paper and cardstock backing.   I was able to use remnants from other projects for most of my cupcake toppers, so I saved tons of money on this.  I then just used spray adhesive to glue the cardstock to the back of one sheet of paper.  For one side of the cupcake topper you want cardstock, for the other side you want just nice text-weight paper.
  • A hole punch, although you can also cut the shapes yourself.  I just find hole punches to be easier and more uniform.  My circular hole punch with scalloped edges cost $7.99 on sale at Michael's.  You can use square hole punches, just make sure they are big enough - at least an inch wide.
  • I found these flat craft picks which ended up being perfect and were less expensive than lollipop sticks.  These were 250 for only $1.99 at Michael's.  I think toothpicks might be too small.
  • I purchased some raised glittery heart stickers.  You can also just purchase flat stickers and put a foam backing on them.  The raised stickers vary in price, but I bought mine during a buy one, get one 50% off sale and they were about $5.00 total.
  • I also had a hot glue gun and spray adhesive on hand. 


2.)  I started by glueing the cardstock to the back of one scrapbook page (you can also just buy decorative cardstock - I wanted to use what I already had).  Then using the hole punch to cut out the circular design in the scrapbook page with the cardstock backing.  I also cut out the circular design in the regular scrapbook paper - without the cardstock backing.

3.) Then, I used my hot glue gun to glue the cardstock to the flat top of the  craft picks.   
4.) To get a flat appearance, I sprayed the pick and the cardstock with spray adhesive.  Then placed the scrapbook  regular paper shape on top of the cardstock shape.  I made sure to match up the scallops of the cardstock paper and the regular paper.
                                             
5.)  Next, I attached the stickers.  I used hot glue if I attached the sticker to the scrapbook paper side because it was a little raised.

6.) And that's all! You can print words out and attach them, or different shapes or stickers for any occasion!  Here's the final product - just imagine these on top of cupcakes!



1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to reach you regarding this DIY project but don't see a contact button. Is there an easy way to contact you?

    ReplyDelete